Thursday, January 28, 2010

R.I.P J.D. Salinger

J.D. Salinger, author of the beloved novel "Catcher in the Rye" and a myriad of other short stories, passed away of natural causes yesterday (Wednesday the 27th). This really comes as sad news. My relationship with Mr. Salinger's work is actually quite interesting. I've read "Catcher in the Rye" once or twice, never really appreciating it as much as others might have. I've always wondered if this was because I was forced to read it under the English Program of my high school (the same situation with The Great Gatsby) and I definitely plan on giving it another chance. My second run in with Salinger's work was with "Franny & Zooey". My book club choose these two short stories for its first discussion. It was a great first for the club - an extremely interesting perspective on a New York Family. A truly refreshing work of literature. Reading "Franny & Zooey" really got me excited about Salinger's work and I went out and bought his other two books - "Nine Stories" and "Raise High the Roof Beams Carpenter - Seymour, an Introduction". These have been on the shelf for months (being pushed aside by what I've had to read for school or the book club). I will definitely be pushing these to the top of the list. "Nine Stories" is actually on my night stand as I type this. Anyways, its sad to see Salinger go. I'm interested to see if any unpublished work will come to light now that he's gone (He was a recluse for the last 40 or so years of his life). The New Yorker put all of his previously released New Yorker Stories up to read on the Digital Edition of their Magazine. Below is a video from PBS's art beat on J.D. Salinger's life and his work "Catcher in the Rye".

1 comment:

Simone said...

nine stories nine stories nine stories

i had a link to a bunch of his uncollected writings (short stories in the new yorker and shit) but apparently they have all been removed from the internet recently! i am sad. sorry i can't share them with you.